Tuesday, March 20, 2012

TV: Interview with Robert Carlyle on his Role in Once Upon a Time

Robert Carlyle Image 1

The Daily Record posted this wonderful interview with Robert Carlyle, who talks about his experience on Once Upon a Time, his character, his family, his childhood in Glasgow, and fairy tales. (Full Article)

Highlights

On where his portrayal of Rumpelstiltskin came from: 
"Instead, he was inspired by son Pearce to perfect a role he calls 'the most theatrical of my career'.
Robert, 50, said: 'The voice came from my wee boy Pearce, who is six. He always walks around the house going ‘dehdehdehdehdeh’ in all these strange voices.
'Pearce goes into a wee world of his own when he’s playing with his toys. So that’s what I based the character on. This real childlike thing.
'That’s what Rumpelstiltskin is… he’s like a kid. So I thought, if I can find some kind of voice like that but also make it kind of creepy and bizarre.
It’s also a bit freakish when Rumpelstiltskin has that childlike quality then suddenly can turn and get very dark.'"

Why it is 'the most theatrical role' of his career:
 “These characters are very much larger than life so the playing of them has got to be that way too. You can’t walk on with a naturalistic performance. It just wouldn’t work. At drama school I did a lot of work with masks. You put one on and it frees you in a way. You’re able to change everything about ­yourself.
“So I look in the mirror and don’t see myself any more. That, ­combined with Commedia dell’Arte – Italian high end farce – and the way I move and strike poses as Rumpelstiltskin is where all that comes from.”

No comments:

Post a Comment